This event is held on the last Sunday in October each year and is a 55km point-to-point mountain bike race from Mitta Mitta to Mt Beauty, via Scrubby Creek and Trappers Gap. With 37km of dirt road, 18km of bitumen, 840 metres of climb and 740 metres of descent, the Mitta is a unique scenic and riding experience.
2016 marks the 25th anniversary of this challenge. Start time is 10:00am in Mitta Mitta on Sunday 30th October 2016.
Despite having the reputation as a “gut-buster” it continues to grow in popularity from humble beginnings in 1992. Local cyclist Tony Retra developed the idea of the Mitta after competing in the Briagalong to Dargo and back, some time ago! The first Mitta attracted some roadies, a few xc skiers, and some very keen locals and was won by Tony. Word soon spread amongst the mountain bike fraternity that if you wanted a challenge – try the Mitta. Notable mountain bikers have won the event, including Rob Eva (1993, 1995), and the fastest time belongs to Murray Spink (2002) with a time of 1.45.46.
As the event had always attracted a dedicated following from xc skiers and endurance athletes, Alan Marsland ( Kangaroo Hoppet ) developed the Great Alpine Challenge – running, xc skiing and mountain biking. The inclusion of the Mitta as the third leg of The Great Alpine Challenge has resulted in the numbers growing each year.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE TIME CUT-OFFS AT THE TOP OF BOTH CLIMBS. These will be based on a total completion time of <4.5 hours. Riders are encouraged to get on the sag-wagon at this point as the race course will no longer be marshalled after this time. Riders can continue unsupported if they wish but will be required to remove their race number.
Riders <16 yrs can compete in the 40km challenge, getting a 15km head-start on the main field.
Juniors aged 12-15yrs can apply for an exemption to the age restriction to complete the full 55km distance.
(Please note eligibility above)
(Online entries close on Wednesday 26th October at midnight)
SATURDAY 29TH OCTOBER
- 4-5pm at Mt Beauty bakery - Registration for new entries and number plate pick up for pre-entries.
SUNDAY 30th OCTOBER
- 7am at Falls Creek Coaches, Tawonga South - Assemble for buses transfer, loading bikes on trailers and number plate pick-up for pre-entries.
- 7:30am The bus departs at 7:30am sharp. Please do not be late.
- ~9am Arrival at Mitta Mitta caravan park
- 9am-9:30am Number plate pick-up for pre-entries (Mitta Mitta caravan park)
- 9:50am Race briefing
- 10am Race starts
- ~12noon First riders cross finish line in Mt Beauty
- From 1pm Presentations at the finish line
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE NO NEW RACE ENTRIES ON SUNDAY MORNING. Anyone who still wishes to race once online entries have closed and can’t get to the Mt Beauty bakery at 4pm on Sat 29th Oct, please email email@example.com
- Entry Fee $50pp
- Juniors (under 16 years on race day) $30pp
- Late fee (after online entry closes) $60pp ($40 pp for Juniors)
- Mitta to Mount Beauty Bus Transport (includes bike) MUST notify by 23/10/2016. $20
- MTBA day license (must be purchased if no current MTBA race license; day license can be purchased during online entry process): $25